1.06.2008

Mittens

Remember how I mentioned starting some mittens before the Grandma scarf adventure? Well I finished one and it turned out pretty weird. I think the pattern I used was kind of crappy so my mitten ended up looking really pointy and skinny. Booo. I don't think I will make one to match it. I will probably have to remake it with a better pattern and then make it a friend.





I did start on some new mittens with a better pattern I found on knitty.com. KNitty is awesome! I have knit many things from patterns on their site. Notably, (from my retrospect post) A Nautilis, The green legwarmers, the weird headband thing that ties under my neck, and a hat that I gave to my brother which actually didn't turn out very good, but was still a fun idea and project. I don't have a photo of it unfortunately ..... or fortunately I guess because it was weird looking. I attempted to do some colorwork and apparently I have trouble counting because it got a bit messed up and it wasn't very easy to stretch it and wear it.

Anyways, I am getting a bit off subject. I started knitting some new mittens and at this point I am about halfway through the first one. So far so good! They have a ribbed cuff and I am adapting the knitty pattern to have some stripes. I also had to adapt it because the gauge was way too small for my liking. They wanted me to use #4 needles! That's just crazy. I actually had some that I used for the Nautilis I knit, and that thing, as cool as it is, just took forever to finish. So naturally I used some larger needles and did the math to compensate for the pattern. I think everything is going well with the adaptations. I made it past the thumb hole and am working on the main section of the mitten. The thumb hole is the tricky part so hopefully it is smooth sailing from here on out. Then the next challenege is adding the thumb and then making another mitten that matches the first one. I alwys have trouble doing this because I tend to forget to keep track of how many rows my stripes are in the first one and then I just kind of guess as I go along. I am going to try and pay more attention to that for this project. No one wants unmatched mittens! haha. Well that is the only project I have going right now, so keep checking back to see how these progress. I will try and post some pics soon. OK!

2 comments:

bevq said...

If you need an easy pattern for mittens I have a couple on my site:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/the-mitts.html
and for kids
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/2-needlemitts.html

Have a warm day!
Bev

Anonymous said...

Who thinks Bevq is creepy? Can I get a Hoorah!? Just an observation from afar....